So far this year, all the home projects we’ve completed have been totally unintentional. It’s not been anything particularly major but instead of talking about things and then spending months not doing them, we’ve been quite proactive by our standards. Most recently, we’ve started a makeover of our master bedroom and it’s turning out quite well so far.
The previous owners completed a loft conversion which is great – we’ve chosen it as our master bedroom so it feels like we’re getting away from the rest of the house when we go to bed plus it has at least a functioning en-suite which is handy since nothing in the main bathroom works! However, neither the build quality nor the layout is fantastic and I would have definitely done things differently if it was our project from scratch.
We recently had Sharps bedrooms out to talk about the possibility of turning our slopy ceiling area into a kind of walk-in dressing room so that we can move the bed to where the wardrobes are. It wouldn’t be a massive project but it seemed very much beyond their capabilities. The cost involved doesn’t bother us, we’ve got a good track record with saving up and spending money when it’s exactly what we want. With them though it was all about what they couldn’t do, what wouldn’t work and so that was the end of that. We’ll revisit it with the builder who did all the rendering work on the front of our house because I know we can make it work but for now it’s a parked project.
Instead I decided to give the bedroom a lick of paint, have a little rejig of the furniture and see if that helped to turn it from a bedroom into a beautiful boudoir. Our furniture is all a bit mishmash – part leftover from the previous owners, part brought with us from our previous rental and part from Pete’s previous home. We didn’t want to spend money replacing it or changing the flooring but I had no idea what a difference painting it would make.
I wanted a pale grey and after the Farrow and Ball debate to end all debates on Instagram, opted for a Valspar paint in Silver Thistle Down. This was SUCH a great choice, the paint was so beautiful to work with and is exactly the shade I had in mind.
So here’s some before pictures because of course, there’s no point showing afters if there are no befores! It’s a fairly big room with windows on opposite sides and we have two double wardrobes, two big chests of drawers, a king-sized bed, two bedside tables and a lot of empty floor space. Oh and check out that horrendous light fitting!!
And then came the grey. It took four days because I’m fairly slow and the doors still need to be done but we’re so happy and can’t believe what a difference it makes.
I’m going to leave the rest of the pictures for now until we’ve completely finished but as you can see we’ve moved one of the drawer units over by the window which has freed up space for my new dressing table area which I’m so excited about! I’m planning a copper/blush pink colour theme to compliment the grey and we already have a few bits and pieces on the way. Plans include a round copper mirror to hang above the dressing table, an Eames imitation rocker, plants and prints. Watch this space!
Follow me on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter