Wow, I can’t actually believe it’s more than two months since the first part of this makeover was revealed. Summer goes so quickly doesn’t it? But now I’m so excited to share with you our finished monochrome bathroom makeover. Hopefully you’ll agree that the finished result is such an improvement on what we had before!
Out bathroom wasn’t high on the list of priorities to update, even though it was in quite poor condition. Eventually we will completely renovate the room and planned to keep it as we inherited it, until then. When Carpetright got in touch offering some stunning vinyl flooring in exchange for a monochrome bathroom makeover challenge, it was the kick I needed to get stuck in.
Of course, what’s a makeover without some before pictures, so take a look at this lovely lot.
Isn’t it LOVELY??
Without much budget and not wanting to completely overhaul the room, we were curious if we could make it look any good. And in time-honoured ‘us’ fashion, it’s taken a while. But it’s been so so worth it and has ended up looking better than we could have ever imagined.
So here’s what we did, and I’ll link to the products below where I can find them.
Painting the patterned tiles – you can read more in this blog post but painting the patterned tiles black made an almost immediate impact. Instead of looking old-fashioned and fussy, the now look modern and clean.
Replacing the shower screen – we don’t actually use this bathroom for showers since neither the one on the wall or the one over the bath taps work very well. The old shower screen was hideous and we replaced it with a clean, simple glass panel.
The window – leaded windows are not our favourite but we didn’t have the budget to entirely replace this just yet. Instead we cleaned it using uPCV cleaner, removed the tatty old blind and replaced the window handles. Such a cost-effective update to make.
The door – ever since we moved in, the bathroom door kept sticking on the previous floor. Pete took it off, filed the bottom and re-hung it. We gave the door a new coat of paint in Dulux Satin Wood, cleaned the handles and put a new hook on the back.
Changing the bath panel – the original panel was disintegrating so we hot-footed it to B&Q to have a piece of MDF cut to size. We screwed it back into the existing framework and I painted the smaller piece black to create a stylish skirting effect. The whole thing cost us less than £15!
New upcycled vanity unit – we kept the sink but needed to replace the vanity unit underneath. You can see how I did my first IKEA hack here!
New wall cabinet – our bathroom isn’t huge so we replaced the old-fashioned wall cabinet with a more modern, mirrored one from the same IKEA range as the vanity unit.
Accessories – this is always the fun part but somehow still takes the most time…
A Lovely Rectangular Pinterest-Friendly Image
*Flooring – kindly gifted by Carpetright for the purpose of this challenge, £15.99 per m squared
Towels – Hampton & Astley, Midnight Black, £44.99
Toilet Roll Holder – Ferm Living from Future & Found, £25
Soap and Hand Cream – Future & Found, £15
Vanity Unit – IKEA, £35
Vanity Unit Legs – IKEA, £15
Wall Cabinet – IKEA, £29.90
*Electric Toothbrush – kindly gifted by Bruzzoni
Copper Magnifying Mirror – Homesense
Copper Waste Bin – TK Maxx
Bath Panel – MDF from B&Q, custom cut, £11
Faux Palm – Blooming Artificial, £23.99
Plant Pot – Homebase, £5.99
Wooden Bath Caddy – Amazon, £12.89
Copper Windowsill Plant Pot – Amazon
Aloe Vera – bought locally
Floor Lantern – Tesco Direct, £18
*Black City Of Tomorrow Candle – gifted from Wick Candle Boutique, £35
Window handles – Screwfix, £14.99 per handle
Follow me on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter