In the words of Alanis Morisette, “isn’t it ironic?” that on one of the warmest September afternoons I can remember, we were busy in the garden making space to put a log store for our wood-burning stove! I did actually start the day in jeans, wellies, 2 layers and a body warmer and by 3pm it had all been swapped out for shorts and flip-flops.
Our beautiful wood-burner was installed earlier this year and now its approaching the colder months I can’t wait to use it. We still have a last few bits and bobs to finish up before it’s ready and deciding where to put a log shed was one of those. It also gave me the opportunity to get back to my mini weekly projects too, I’ve really missed doing things around the house lately.
We decided to make room along the fence next to our patio doors from the dining room – it’s out of the way but easy to get access to without needing to venture too far outside and is a good space. We have a fairly big patio, the round table in the picture above seats 4 and we can fit at least 10 of them into the area.
The only problem was that half of the fence was covered in some fairly resilient ivy and three quarters of it has been painted – badly – in a sort of dark maroon colour (I do have to apologise about the photos, I’m normally so pressed for time that taking beautiful shots and thinking it all through doesn’t come first!)
The first job was to strip back all the ivy which was fairly straightforward apart from some stubborn bits that Pete had to use a saw on. I think once the wood store is in place I’d quite like to let the ivy grow back around it but we’ll see.
Then the super tedious job of sanding – I HATE sanding and am not nearly as thorough enough as I need to be. We also found that the bits of wood in their natural state reacted differently to the bits of wood that had already been treated.
Thankfully Pete has more patience for the sanding task than I do and he did the half that eluded me before I started painting. We used a Ronseal Quick Drying Wood Stain in Dark Oak to try and mask the plain wood to the painted wood and it really does do what it says on the tin! I found painting the fence quite tough-going at first, I’m so used to painting walls and don’t have much experience at all of painting wood. Soon enough the first coat was complete.
It took almost an entire 750ml tin, used very sparingly, to do the first coat and I did lose the will at times but it was such a beautiful afternoon that the first coat dried super fast and enabled me to get the second coat on (which was much easier to do with the first one acting as a base).
It looks so much tidier than it did before and is now ready for the log store. Pete’s away this weekend but we’ve got our eyes on the one we want and will order it when he gets back (apparently I’m not trustworthy enough to try building my own one, just sticking to painting for now 😉
Click here to visit our webshop, DaisychainBaby